Thursday 22 September 2016

Creamy mushrooms with rainbow chard

I cannot remember if I ever wrote about moving to Catford (I  just checked and I don't think I have written about moving to Catford, which is weird, because it was a big change in our life - owning a house for the first time, new area etc etc...). Anyway, when we first moved to Catford (the Corbett Estate) our eldest was only 2 years old and I was pregnant with our second. It was a completely new area for us and we knew nobody.

It was also quite a change from Nunhead (where we rented until then) - there were not many cafes, no delis and no sourdough pizza places (the horror!). On a more serious note though, I struggled to start with; I didn't know where all the local mums met up; I didn't even know any local mums; It felt like the closest place to go to a cafe was only accessible by car (Crofton Park, Lee or back to Peckham/East Dulwich); and I felt sick for much of the first few months (I think that was due to the pregnancy and not solely because we moved to Catford). All in all, Catford had not made the best of impressions on me.

After having my second daughter and having finished some hardcore refurbishments to the house I started to feel more at home. I started meeting more people at the parks, discovered Hither Green and Manor House Gardens and enjoyed life in Catford a little more. I also found out there was a very active local community in our estate, which is lovely to experience!

A few years on and we now have a couple of rather nice cafes, including Arlo and Moe and their wonderful evening pop ups. We also have a fantastic new deli (Good Food), with organic veg, cheeses from Neal's Yard and a pulse and flour selection that makes me want to cook like mad just to try it all. They also, to my husband's relief, stock craft beer, though my husband is NOT a hipster!!

I went in Good Food yesterday to get some mushrooms for dinner and they also had a bag of beautiful rainbow chard, so I bought that as well. In my head they made a good combination. So that evening I made creamy mushrooms on toast with rainbow chard. It was very satisfying (and partly healthy).



Serves 2 (or 4 as a starter)

300 g of mushrooms, chopped (I used brown mushrooms - use any kind you like)
200 g rainbow chard, washed and roughly chopped
50g butter
1 garlic clove, finelly chopped
150ml white wine
300ml double cream
tbs chopped parsley
salt and pepper

Toasted bread to serve with (doesn't have to be sourdough!)

1. Prepare the veg. Add the butter to a frying pan and out on a medium heat. Once melted add the mushrooms and garlic and allow to brown lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Once the mushrooms are beginning to soften, turn the heat up and add the white wine. Allow to reduce to less than half and add the chard and the double cream.
3. Reduce the heat to low, put a lid on and let the chard wilt for a few minutes. Once it has softened, turn the heat off , stir in the parsley and serve on some warm crusty, toasted bread.



2 comments: