Friday 3 February 2012

Cuttlefish in Tomato Sauce

Seafood; You either love it or you hate it. As you may have guessed, I love it! I 'm convinced that people who don't like it haven't had good seafood, otherwise they would like it. I mean, whats not to like? Its sweet and salty and so soft in texture. Talking about it now, I could just live on it! If I were ever told that I could only ever eat meat OR seafood for the rest of my life, I think it would have to be seafood - though during my pregnancy the answer would weirdly have been meat!

I love everything about seafood and I love all seafood. But when I was young, I think calamari was my favourite! Any time we went out to a taverna, I would check if they had it. And one of my favourite days of the year was 'Kathara Deytera', which translates as 'Clean Monday' and is the first day of Greek Easter lent. On this day we basically eat all the seafood we can - octopus, calamari, prawns! It seems seafood - as opposed to fish - doesn't have blood and is therefore allowed during lent. Clever Greeks!

This recipe with cuttlefish often featured during lent and is simple, yet delicious. It is usually served with rice and is another recipe out of my mother's cookbook. I know cuttle fish is different to squid, but they are similar and I actually made it with squid this time - as the fishmonger didn't have any cuttlefish on the day.




Serves 4

1 kg cuttlefish or squid (after cleaning, so probably 2 kg of uncleaned cuttlefish)
4 medium onions, chopped
750g passata
2 tbs finely chopped celery
250 ml dry white wine
3-4 tbs of olive oil
salt
pepper

Clean the cuttlefish or squid, or ask your fishmonger to do it (much quicker and easier to have it done!). Cut into strips of around 1-2 centimetres. Fry the cuttlefish/squid with the onions, until all the juices dry up. Add the wine, celery and passata and some pepper. You can add some salt too, but we had ours salt free so the little one could also enjoy it - which she really did! Simmer gently for 1,5 - 2 hours. Serve with rice - normally long grain, but I only had basmati on the day. Talk about adjusting a recipe!

1 comment: